Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Because it's summer and slushies from Sonic don't count as fruit.



Here's a salad that I made for a get together this weekend... I made it with baby spinach leaves, reeeaaallly thinly sliced golden delicious apples, and goat cheese rolled in roasted unsalted chopped pistachios and sliced on top. The dressing was a Meyer lemon vinaigrette that I made by whisking a little Meyer Lemon juice, olive oil, salt, pepper and lemon zest. I have this thing about Meyer Lemons lately. Anyway... summer light and refreshing, and the creaminess of the goat cheese goes really nicely with the pistachios. I think that's a peanut butter and jelly type flavor marriage there. Freeze the goat cheese, before you roll it, it is much easier to slice that way. You could easily add grilled chicken, or grilled salmon to this salad and make it a meal.

Other hits:


This yummy Avocado-y salad from Aida on the Food Network who amazes me with her GIANT smile... she's kind of like the Julia Roberts of the Food Network with that facial grill of hers. Click here! The only thing I really don't care for is fresh mozzarella. Maybe I just haven't ever found one that I really like, but to me it just tastes kind of flavorless. I like adding a different type of cheese, even using a regular mozzarella. You need a little bit more of a salty bite, in my opinion. One more thing, too... this recipe has wayyyyy too much oil in it. You could half it, and you'd probably be fine.

And, because cupcakes are my thang, I vote for this recipe, hands down. I want to marry it. It's Sprinkles recipe for Strawberry cupcakes. Holy. I mean. Shoot. Right? Click here!

Happy, happy. That's what you'll be.

3 comments:

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Yum! That sounds good Heidi! I love goat cheese and goat cheese rolled in pistachio's, all the more. mmmmmmm

Hey you two! How great is next week going to be?!! Two Top Chefs and Project Runway. WAHOO!

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Helloooooooooo. Anybody home?!

Thinking of you guys, looking forward to Top Chef Masters and Top Chef Vegas tonight and so very curious to see what the new PR will be like tomorrow.

ACK! I made a chilled tomato soup from MS mag and it was blech. That would be a um, minus 1 on your rating scale. Tasted like slime.

Look forward to hearing your latest recipe try outs.

Alison said...

EWW! Slime is NOT good eats. I'm sooo ready for tonigh! Can't decide if I want Hubert or Rick to win. Either way, I think I'll be happy. It's been so much fun! Michael Chiarello can (still) kiss my hind quarters, but I even like him better now.