Friday, May 22, 2009

Brace Yourselves.

It's my first bad review.

I love the Pioneer Woman. I want to curl up on her front porch and live off her table scraps. I want to mosey around the ranch and name all the calves. I want to hang out with her kids and hold her sister's adorable baby. Which makes what I have to say very hard.

The recipe she posted for Hummus was yucky.

I once had Hummus at a Greek restaurant and I immediately fell in love. Store bough versions never came close to tasting the same. So when I saw her "Classic Hummus" I thought BOOYA, and I went out and bought all the ingredients. I think the ingredients themselves were right on, but the amounts she has listed are waaaaaay off. I followed the recipe exactly and ended up with cement. There's not a chance you could actually pull this recipe off in a blender. Unfortunately, I had company that evening (WHATUP PEEPS!) and couldn't really mess around with it to try to fix it up. They were good sports and ate it anyway. But there was so much left over that I decided to experiment.

I tripled the amounts of lemon juice, olive oil and water and it almost came close to what I remembered. This is what it looked like with three times the amount of liquid listed.

Still a little bit thick for my taste. Sorry, but this one is definitely not a keeper. 1 star.

5 comments:

Heidi Joe said...

Shhh... don't tell anyone I said this, but I think that a lot of her recipes kinda suck. I end up changing them up and changing measurements. I think the one thing I love of hers is her olive bread... but again with that, I had to change the measurements so that my kitchen didn't turn into a tidal wave of mayonnaise.

She's definitely gone way down on my list of faves. I still like reading about the cows and punks, but for recipes, I tend to stick with my go-to gals, Martha and Ina and some new faves like the ones we have on our blog list. Especially Elise @ Simply Recipes.

So, yes. I'm out of love with P-Dubs. There I said it. What a big load off my shoulders. Pshew!

Alison said...

I really love her recipe for cobbler, the one where you make the dough and then crumble it on top. REALLY love it. And the olive bread is The Crap (with some alterations). But yeah, the other recipes I've tried have been kind of Meh. I usually will only try one if I'm in the mood for something adventurous. I think it's important to keep in mind that she's a home cook, and there's not anything wrong with that but she doesn't exactly have the training or the test kitchen for her recipes to be comparable to Martha or Ina. Plus Ina is my homegirl.

Heidi Joe said...

That's because Ina came to get down.

Sally Annie Magundy said...

Hey you two. :)

Don't you hate it when you've gone to all the trouble to make something new (and spent all the BUCKS!!) and it sucks!

I've never made any of PW's recipes so I can't speak from any experience on them. But I love hummus. LOVE! When it's good. It can be heavenly or yuck.

I've never tried to make it - there's a Lebanese place not far from us that is so wonderful and I just know that mine would never measure up. I might be wrong - I'd love to be wrong - but their's is so smooth and velvety and tart. I think we need someone from the old country to teach us Alison.

Alison said...

Oh Sally, I'll be needing the name of your dealer, stat!