Saturday, May 30, 2009

The musical fruit.

I know, I know... I couldn't resist that old song about beans. But seriously. These beans are the beans. I made them over Memorial day weekend, but they are perfect for any summer BBQ action you have going. And easy too. This recipe is from my friend Laura and her sisters. And boy, do they know beans. (Okay they don't like, own a bean company or anything. This recipe is just super good.)

Take one can pre-fab baked beans (like those cheapo pork n' beans), a can of lima beans (I can never find the can, so I use frozen that have been thawed) a can of light kidney beans, and a can of butter beans. I have also used pinto beans and Northern beans, but the butter and the lima are a must. Pour them all in a drainer and rinse. Then, take the pre fab can and fill it up about 2/3 with water and save it. Trust me. Then put all the beans in a 13x9.

Cut up a package of bacon into 1-inch pieces and get it all working in a pan, almost crispy. Drain it off, and then cook a small chopped onion in the same pan. Add back the bacon, and the water from the can with all the bean can floaties in it and one cup of brown sugar. (Packed. Like I have to tell you that though. That's a major food rule. Have you ever heard anyone say, don't pack your brown sugar? Not me.) Stir for a minute and then add a 15oz can of tomato sauce. Heat for a sec, and then pour all of that on top of the beans in the 13x9 and stir. Bake for about an hour or so @ 350ish and then transfer to a crock pot on high for an hour to thicken up the sauce. Turn it down to low and eat them up. So easy and so tasty. And it makes a ton... so have people over. Grill up some hot dogs like me and Mister did. He likes just mustard, as you can see.

Feel free to add whatever you like too... the last time I made them, I added a little ketchup and then shhh... don't tell anyone, but when I transferred them to the crock pot, I added a small spoonful of the bacon grease. I know, I know. But it keeps it all copacetic.

P.S. Check out our new food hottie, too. If I were Ina I would say "T.R., These beans are so easy and delicious. How bad can that be? No really, how fabulous is that?"

3 comments:

Missie said...

Mmmmmmmm, Beans. I love good beans. This sounds so yummy. As soon as I'm allowed, I'm going to try this one out!

Alison said...

You had me at "bacon."

Heidi Joe said...

Have I ever told you my bacon theory?